Tuesday, June 28, 2011

#2

Take it easy on yourself. Watch something good on telly, snuggled in a doona. My picks:

- Twin Peaks. Take advice from Agent Cooper: "Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just...let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black coffee."
I'll take mine with milk, and I'll only have one, but yes, a cup of good, hot coffee is just the ticket right about now.



- Six Feet Under. If you've already seen it, watch it again and feel like you're hanging out with old, dysfunctional friends. If you haven't seen it, the characters have some incredibly fucked-up things happen to them, so take solace in the fact that you're probably not as unlucky as they are (and that you're not dating Billy).



- Something amusing. I like silliness in my humour. My favourite shows of this ilk are Arrested Development, 30 Rock and Flight of the Conchords. Be relieved that you do not have a mother like Lucille Bluth, the self-esteem of Jenna or the, well, lacklustre career of Bret and Jemaine.



- If you are in need of something more uplifting, I recommend the movies of Hayao Miyazaki. Totoro is cute, Spirited Away is darkly whimsical, Princess Mononoke is just incredibly beautiful.



- Oh! Oh! And my favourite movie of all time, one that NEVER fails to make me smile madly. Tilsammens, a Swedish movie by the marvellous Lucas Moodysson, perfect for all the tree-hugging commies out there ;-) The music is great and the threads (when they're wearing them) are even better.



Happy watching!

PS: What are your favourite things to watch when you're in need of either escapism or cheering up?

1 comment:

beth said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Talk soon xx