Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One night stand or sperm bank?

After reading a recent article on one of my regular reads, Mia Freedman's blog, I felt the need to post my thoughts (something I seem to be doing more of these days). And to comment on it here.

It was interesting to see how much scorn and even anger Kate Spicer illicited in the comments box on Mia's site. I can see why some people would think that she was a selfish woman, entering motherhood with little thought both to her future offspring and the man she's casually slept with to create the child. I can also see why other readers had defended her - isn't it a woman's right, as a woman, to bear children if she so wishes?

Ah, I'm such a fence sitter. My own opinion, as a new mother, is just that I am so darned thankful that I had my partner with me throughout pregnancy, birth and now (and hopefully for a long time yet!). It's lovely to watch him with our little babushka, playing with her during Tummy Time and singing along to her sweet little coos and gahs and pacing up and down the hallway to settle her at night. I'd forgive anyone for thinking that our little girl was a 'happy accident' - Pat and I had only been together for six months when I became pregnant, and he was only 23 at the time. But the truth is that we'd been talking about the possibility of a baby from pretty early on, and the fact that I was pregnant within about a week of going off the Pill only cemented the feeling that we made the right decision.

Anyway, back to the subject...now that I know what motherhood entails, the thought of doing it without my partner-in-crime scares the bejesus outta me. Single parents everywhere have my utmost admiration!

No comments: