Friday, March 20, 2009

Tiki time

My dad recently told me of how, when I was not yet two months old, he and my mother took me to the movies, hoping to watch as much as possible (and planning to leave when I cried). As it was, I didn’t cry and they got to watch the whole thing. Which is impressive as the movie was Reds, which runs for 194 min.

So when Sunday arrived, chilly and overcast, I was secretly happy. It meant that we could go to Husky Pictures (my favorite cinema!) and test Anouk’s movie-going mettle. And - success! Not a peep. We got to watch to whole of Revolutionary Road, which I thought was great…in particular Kate’s gorgeous wardrobe.

**Attention! Possible spoiler ahead**

I am now convinced that I need a blue gingham shirt, tied at my waist to wear with crisp white shorts and cat’s-eye specs to the beach.
But what I’m really craving is a halterneck frock made from Hawaiian barkcloth, to wear to a retro tiki lounge and drink Mai-Tais and Singapore Slings (there's a scene in the movie where they go dancing at a tiki bar - Kate looks fab but I can't find any pictures). I’ve found a website that sells a huge range of barkcloth, I’m hoping to buy some soon (in addition to the Hawaiian floral styles, I'd kill for some of the rad atomic designs as well).


(pictures courtesy www.barkclothhawaii.com)

No comments: