Friday, July 31, 2009

Hottest 100..?

Um, I know this was a few weeks ago, but what was with the serious lack of females on this list?!?

I should admit that I didn't vote - I had heard about Triple J's Hottest 100 Of All Time on the car radio, each time making a mental not to vote when I got home, and each time completely forgetting.

So here are my Top Ten Female Musicians Of All Time (or my favourites, at least. I can't believe not one of them made it into JJJ's list!), with links to favourite song of theirs:

1) Björk
2) Róisín Murphy
3) Billie Holiday
4) Nina Simone
5) Tori Amos
6) Elizabeth Fraser (of The Cocteau Twins)
7) Beth Orton
8) PJ Harvey
9) Siouxsie Sioux
10) Kate Bush <--this one's for my own Baboushka, of course ;-)

Rock on, ladies.

7 comments:

beth said...

I'll have to try some of these - I've only heard of about four. By the way, I'm now following your blog. I kept forgetting to sign up :)

Iris said...

@beth: Fanks! Do have a listen, I'm sure you'll know Tori and PJ and Beth Orton when you hear them.

Anon said...

It's probably her most popular, but I just love 'Winter' by Tori Amos. It makes me want to get back into the piano every time I hear it...

Private said...

i absolutely adore kate bush!

Miss.Katie said...

I was so upset by the list, I thought atleast some Kate or maybe even Patti Smith would make the list.

I love your list and would probably add a few more too! so many great chicks who rock:)

Iris said...

@Eco-Chic-Mummy: I love Winter, too. Aw, who am I kidding, I can't think of a Tori song that I don't like! You should absolutely go back to the piano, I wish I could play..

@Alli: She's great, isn't she? I love her video clips.

@Miss.Katie: Since posting that list I've come up with about 10 more that need to be on there. Seriously, no Patti Smith? How did that happen?! And I forgot Mazzy Star, and Peaches, and Janis Joplin, arhhhhh...

Hat said...

Its terrible how underrated/ignored a lot of female musicians are. I'm often not taken seriously as a musician because I'm surrounded by Men that basically toss off their guitars! Bjork & Pj Harvey would definitely make it into my top 10.
x