Thursday, May 21, 2009

Working Girl

Gargh! I'm going 'back to work' tomorrow. I use the term loosely as I'm not returning in a hardcore sense; no, only for a few hours. That's the beauty of my current job, it's as casual as I want it to be and at the moment that's quite casual.

I'm a wee bit nervous as it's my first class since having a baby, and although things seem to have slotted back in to approximately where they were pre-Babushka, well, getting nude in front of people is just not something I can imagine any new mother enjoying. Plus it's getting colder and some of these older buildings, while all charming and bohemian and artiste-friendly, can get kind of cold.

So tomorrow I will be remember why the hell I do this for a living...or rather, what inspired me to pursue this line of work in the first place:


Ah, La Belle Noiseuse, with the very belle Emmanuelle Beart. I love how she makes the idea of being an artist's model so very sexy in this film, all mussed-up hair and Gallic pout. In reality (well, for me, at least), I think it is an amazingly unsexy occupation.


(Emmanuelle with Jane Birkin, another reason to love this film. And I want this house.)

Nope, tomorrow I will be turning up in my tracksuit pants, feeling a bit silly as I always do as I twist myself into (very bad impressions of) Rodin-esque poses, thawing myself out with cups of hot tea and probably chatting about baby vomit and sleeping patterns. Oh, that reminds me, I need to make sure I take a few of my own CDs - at this particular class I remember we once got stuck listening to Celine Dion, and I'm not really that big on Celine Dion.

5 comments:

K.Line said...

For a second I thought that was a photo of you (posing in the artist studio) and I was going to have to kill myself with envy that you could actually have a body like that with a little baby!

I scrolled back and saw a lovely photo of you with your child (need to read to find details). How gorgeous!

Iris said...

Thanks, K.Line :-)

And no, not my body (if only)!

Eloise said...

I used to life model (back in my early 20's!), and I have a friend who still does it now (in her mid 30's). I loved it, strangely it gives enormous satisfaction! Hope you've enjoyed getting back to it xxx

Eloise said...

PS What part of Australia are you in? x

Unknown said...

Wow! you are so brave! good on you and lovely blog too! xx