On Friday night, I had a bit of a kitchen accident. I'd put a tin of condensed milk on the stove to boil (to make caramel for these fantabulous brownies), and somehow I ended up ensconced in a long-overdue spot of vacuuming (the urge to clean hits at even sillier times of day than the urge to bake), forgot the tin and ended up with a kitchen covered in caramel. What a flipping mess.
I had a feeling it was coming. I'd heard about it happening and read warnings, but secretly I knew it would happen to me. Many a potentially delicious meal has suffered an incendiary, charred death at my forgetful hands. A few months ago I managed to melt a breastpump after what was initially an attempt to sterilise it after its first use. I cried and vowed to be more vigilant in the future. Ah, such good intentions. I like to think that I'm the kind of person who makes plenty of mistakes, but who only has to make them once. But not when it comes to the unmerciful power of the stove top.
I can only hope that the unpleasantness of having to clean a kitchen covered entirely in big gobs of caramel will stay fresh enough in my mind that I will be more careful with my cooking endeavours...
(Image via Google)